Friday, January 27, 2012

Is there a word for this type of literary device?

In writing, the author may evoke sensory images (i.e., allude to one of the five senses) BUT instead of categorizing it as what it would usually be, he uses a different sense to describe it?



For example: "my eyes feel tired" instead of what one would usually associate with eyes, i.e., "sight" like "my eyes see you"



or if one were to be more poetic -- "my eye shall be the stream and watery deathbed for him" (from Merchant of Venice) which evokes FEELING and maybe even SOUND.



I know there is a word for this in Japanese, but I can't recall it for the life of me. Does English have such a term?Is there a word for this type of literary device?
Those are just metaphors, that's all (see link, below).



Good luck!... ?
  • car stereo
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment